Maximize your philanthropic goals
- Make a difference in people’s lives and always be remembered for your contribution
- Benefit yourself, your family and Auburn University with your planned gift
- Help us fulfill our mission for many years and generations to come
Charitable Remainder Unitrust
You may be concerned about the high cost of capital gains tax with the sale of an appreciated asset. Perhaps you recently sold property and are looking for a way to save on taxes this year and plan for retirement. A charitable remainder unitrust might offer the solutions you need!
How a charitable remainder unitrust works
- You transfer cash or assets to fund a charitable remainder unitrust.
- In the case of a trust funded with appreciated assets, the trust will then sell the assets tax-free.
- The trust is invested to pay income to you or any other trust beneficiaries you select based on a life, lives, a term of up to 20 years or a life plus a term of up to 20 years.
- You receive an income tax deduction in the year you transfer assets to the trust.
- Our organization benefits from what remains in the trust after all the trust payments have been made.
Benefits of a charitable remainder unitrust
- Establish a future legacy gift to our organization
- Receive income for life, for a term of up to 20 years or life plus a term of up to 20 years
- Avoid capital gains on the sale of your appreciated assets
- Receive an immediate charitable income tax deduction for the charitable portion of the trust
Charitable remainder unitrust for income. A charitable remainder unitrust pays you income that reflects the value of the trust's assets. Your income has the potential to increase over time as the trust grows in value.
How to select the right unitrust payout. There are several unitrust payout options to meet your needs. The best payout option may depend on the nature of the asset used to fund the trust. We would be happy to work with you and your tax advisor to determine which payout option is best for you.
Planned Gifts Calculator
Please select a presentation that shows the income and tax benefits for you. You may view a unitrust, annuity trust, gift annuity, deferred gift annuity, sale and unitrust or gift and sale. We hope you enjoy these presentations! View Presentations
Contact the Office of Gift Planning for additional information or to discuss further the different options for including Auburn in your estate plans.
It is always advisable to seek the advice of a financial or legal advisor. Please refer your advisor to our Advisors section for more information.
When including Auburn in your estate or charitable plans, please use our legal name and mailing address:
Auburn University Foundation
317 South College Street, Auburn, AL 36849
Federal Tax ID number: 63-6022422